Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


Well, because of my awesome 9/80 work schedule, we had a glorious 4-day weekend! Friday was spent looking at more houses. We finally found one we both really liked, and were both excited about. We put an offer on it, and we're waiting for this weekend to hear back from the sellers. There's a competing offer, so we're anxious/nervous going into this weekend. But, let's get back to Memorial Day weekend. Saturday we hit the Farm Museum and the sustainable living fair. It would have been cool to investigate the solar and wind power companies if we had a house. But we don't. One cool thing we saw was blue-jean insulation. It's amazing what these wackadilies think of to be sustainable.

After we ate lunch at the fair, we were packing our stuff up and Brooklyn fell off the picnic table pretty hard. Her lip was bleeding a bit and she was crying pretty hard. Then, instead of allowing me the time and focus to comfort my child, some nutso lady came by and started blabbing away about the amazing powers of homeopathic magic crystals that seriously reduce bruising. Of course my polite sensibilities kept me from doing the right thing, paying attention to Brooklyn! Instead I nodded my head and feigned interest. This lady was about to give some of her crystal powers to Brookyln but I think she finally realized she was an absolute stranger (crazy?) and that administering mysterious pills to children wouldn't fly too well. So she finally left us alone, but it bothered me that she didn't have the decency to allow me to comfort my child, and also that I didn't have the nerve to dismiss her immediately to do what was best for my kid. In the end, Brooklyn was fine and we had a lovely rest of the day, but I definitely won't make that mistake again.

Sunday was routine church. Busy, busy, busy. But Celeste and I both enjoy our callings and serving the ward.

On to the main event of Memorial Day celebrations! We took a trip to the National Zoo! We saw pandas, lions, monkeys, exotic birds, cheetahs, bald eagles, sea lions, and elephants. It was fun...except for 20 minutues in when Brooklyn fell down, skinned her already scabbed knee, and started bleeding all over the park, crying her eyes out. And continuing to cry for 10 minutes afterwards. Yeah, that part wasn't so cool. But the rest of the day was great.
After the zoo, we went to a friends house in the ward for a BBQ. It was delicious food (especially the jello!) and great company. We're really starting to settle in here, and we're looking forward to getting into a house and putting down more roots. Celeste just got cast in a children's production at the community college, and she's taking a photography class, and she's started doing some grading to bring in extra skrill ($$). Work is going great for me, and I'm excited that we're starting to test our physical robots in the field. That's the best part!

ANIMAL PICTURES!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the zoo pictures and if you ever see that lady again give her my number. I have a one eyed cat I'd love for her to adopt...or heal. Whichever.

Unknown said...

Aren't pandas the best to see in person?

Megan said...

Looks like lots of fun out there! Can't wait to get there! Hey have yall seen Hallee's brown leggings that are in those pics? I am missing them. May have left them at the hotel......stinky cheese...

Spitzer Family said...

I hope the house offer goes well for you guys-that is soo stressful-but oh! so much fun!!!! Celeste-did you just have a baby? You really don't look like you did-seriously!!!!!! That is a fun pic of Brooklyn pushing Hunter in the stroller-or is that a really real looking doll? ;)

b-ryce said...

Its funny how much Brookyln looks like you Celeste. Let me know how it goes with the offer!

Aqualung said...

Good luck on getting into the house you like. Talk about stress - buying a house and moving. I can see Brooklyn in a few years touring the East Coast saying - "I cut my lip there, I skinned my knee over there, I left blood on that rock from a finger cut, ohhh and I would have been healed by magic crystals right there, but my dad didn't believe in the mystical powers of translucent rocks. That is why I have this scare on my face."

Van Dyke said...

Brooklyn's little smile looks excatly like you and it it adorable

Shelly said...

Cute! We love the national zoo-go every time we visit my parents.

Miss you guys!

Tracy Hogan said...

Wow, cool zoo. Maybe the magic crystal powders lady should have been in one of the cages. Oh, wait, they call those mental health centers.